After episode 2 just kind of meandered about in the past and really illuminated nothing that hadn’t already been surmised, episode 3 picks up right where episode 1 seemed to leave off and progressed things quite nicely. All the standards that you would expect from the plot kick in so this one won’t be getting any points for originality, but it is interesting enough as it sets the childhood friends up on opposite sides of the conflict, builds a fairly interesting relationship between Zhao and the Empress, and continues to have the military seem pretty brutal and pretty hopeless simultaneously.
The episode spends the bulk of its time with the sisters, Ning and Yin and that’s to the anime’s benefit as the relationship between these two is fairly entertaining. With Ning getting new arms from the magic scroll thing that seems to just spit up whatever the plot requires, we may have escaped a fallout between the two because of Yin’s over-protectiveness (and I may have just mixed those names up so I’ll check next week). However, another standard conflict may raise its head as the older sister tried not to kill the enemy leader whereas the younger sister, fuelled by rage and revenge, just swooped in and ended him. While her actions are understandable, they clearly took the older sister by surprise.
However, as fun as these characters are, there’s no escaping that the animation in this one is a little on the dodge side. Particularly during fight sequences where they seem to try to step things up and the end result is some fairly uncomfortable visual effects. It is a shame that the look of this show alone from episode one will put a lot of viewers off, because there’s definitely a potentially interesting story here and hopefully one that pays off in the end. If it all derails horribly, so be it, but right now I’m fairly hopeful for this one.
- Episode 1 – A Rough Fantasy With Some Potential
- Episode 2 – Not Entirely Convinced We Needed To See Any of This
- Episode 3 – The Plot Thickens
- Episode 4 – Rising Tension
- Episode 5 – Attack of the Poor Animation
- Episodes 6 + 7 – The Sword, The Confession, and the Betrayal
- Episodes 8 – 10 – Great Heights and Great Falls; It All comes With Ambition
- Episode 11 – Give In To Your Hate; Embrace the Darkness
- Episode 12 – Everybody Hurts Sometimes Even If You Want to Forget
- Episode 13 – The Small Victory and Loss Within a Greater Battle