She’s the feisty goddess who looked long and hard before choosing Bell to become a part of her familia. Fiercely loyal but also not really one to plan ahead, Hestia has a lot more going for her as a character than you might think from her generic loli appearance. Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon would definitely not be the same without Hestia.
When we first meet Hestia she seems as generic as they come. She’s the loli/little sister type character who is way too fixated on the boy she lives with and very hands on. She crawls into his blanket and sulks when she doesn’t get her way. With her bouncing breasts taking centre stage in a lot of her screen time, and even other gods mocking her for being so small accept in her boobs, it would be very easy to dismiss Hestia as a one note character that we’ve all seen before.
That however overlooks a lot of Hestia’s most wonderful character traits. Her genuine affection for Bell, whether that of a goddess or something more not withstanding, she’s fiercely protective of her familia (which in the anime initially consists of only Bell). Hestia may be largely powerless in the mortal world but she still isn’t going to let those she deems a danger near him. And yet, her jealousy and protectiveness doesn’t make her stupid. When Lily comes along, despite Hestia not trusting her initially and those misgivings turn out to be true, once Lily commits to following Bell, Hestia accepts the logic in Bell having assistance in the dungeon. She may not like it but she does what is right for Bell’s protection.
This willingness to compromise her own position in order to protect Bell is a reoccurring theme and something that sets Hestia apart from other possessive characters who put their own needs first at almost all times. Hestia incurs a massive debt to another goddess early on in order to buy Bell a knife that will guard him in the dungeon. However, rather than using the money earned by Bell in the dungeon to pay for it, Hestia takes on a range of part-time jobs and continues to work to pay the debt herself.
However, the surest sign of Hestia’s feelings and her strength as a character, as well as her impulsive nature, is her decision to enter the dungeon after Bell and his party don’t return. Despite being a goddess she is completely helpless in the dungeon and she knows it. She knows she can’t do any good, she knows that her presence won’t change anything, and yet she cannot simply sit and wait for Bell to return. Then, when push comes to shove and Hestia sees Bell in real danger she breaks a significant taboo and unleashes her power within the dungeon.
While Hestia definitely falls in with a lot of generic tropes she is very much her own character and she is fun and delightful. Her love for her familia is admirable and the effort she goes to in order to protect them is extraordinary. I can’t wait to see more of Hestia in the upcoming second season as I love her in the books.
Thank-you for reading 100 Word Anime.
Join the discussion in the comments.
- Maka Albarn – Soul Eater
- Kuronuma Sawako – Kimi Ni Todoke
- Yato – Noragami
- Takeo Gouda – My Love Story
- Zen Wisteria – Snow White With The Red Hair
- Yamato Kurosawa – Say I Love You
- Sebastian Michaelis – Black Butler
- Madoka – Madoka Magica
- Rimuru Tempest – That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
- Yuki Soleil – The Price of Smiles
- Emma – The Promised Neverland
- Subaru – My Roommate is a Cat
- Xianming Lin – Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens
- Haruhi Fujioka – Ouran High School Host Club
- Hestia – Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon
- Haruitsuki Abeno – The Morose Mononokean
- Reiko – Natsume Yuujinchou
- Angelo Lagusa – 91 Days
- Jean Otus – ACCA
- Saitou Kazuki – Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens
- Liliruca Arde – Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon
- Diamond – Land of the Lustrous
- Naofumi – The Rising of the Shield Hero
- Itsuki – The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Ririchiyo Shirakiin – Inu X Boku SS