The child soldier recruited by Koko the arms-dealer as a body guard has some really fantastic moments throughout the two seasons of Jormungand. Here I’m counting down my favourite five moments with Jonah. I would love to know your favourite moments with Jonah.
Now there were a bunch more brilliant moments I’d have loved to mention, such as when he won at paint-ball, shouted for the doctor in the mountains, or even when he saved Koko during the Orchestra assassination attempt, but I did have to narrow this list to five. Please keep in mind, if you haven’t watched Jormungand, there’s going to be spoilers here.
Number 5 – Laughing While Escaping
We meet Jonah when he’s first recruited by Koko and he’s emotionally shut down with very little expression. Kind of understandable given he’s been a child soldier for some time and hates weapons but is now about to work for an arms dealer. Still, the first time he genuinely laughs when Koko pulls a fast one and leads her team to escape, abandoning another arms dealer in the process, is pretty amazing and the start of Jonah exhibiting a lot more emotions as the story progresses.
Number 4 – Attempting To Get Revenge on Kasper
Yeah, this doesn’t work out so well for Jonah anyway but anyone who has watched the series knows it was justified. Jonah’s first meeting with Kasper after joining Koko’s team is an emotional one with Jonah reaching for a knife. When we get the flashback showing how Kasper and Jonah met you fully understand Jonah’s impulse to stab the guy in the back, the front, or wherever else he manages to reach.
Number 3 – Protecting The Orphans
This is totally linked to his reason for hating Kasper but when we see Jonah prior to meeting Koko, he’s working at a military base that has a group of orphan children in it (not suspicious at all). Jonah has been sneaking them food and trying to look after them but he can’t do anything when they take one of them away (who does not return). This is the trigger that sets Jonah off on a fairly bloody campaign however he does manage to secure the safety of the remaining orphans, even if he owes that to Kasper in the end.
Number 2 – Being Targeted By Hex
It is sometimes hard to remember how young Jonah is given his behaviour in the story however there are times when we are made fully aware that he is young and vulnerable. Hex’s targeting of him when she’s denied the right to target Koko is one of the more emotionally charged moments in the series (and leads to the death of another character), but it is a great moment for Jonah as well. He identifies the danger and manages to keep himself and Koko alive long enough for the other character to reach them. He’s drugged and injured in the process but it was still a pretty impressive effort given what they were up against.
Number 1 – Turning Against Koko
From hating Koko because she’s an arms-dealer, to being intrigued by her, to having a relationship that is built on trust, to finally learning her secret, Jonah’s relationship with Koko is a complex one and one that ends up being the cornerstone of the climax of the series. Koko’s plan is one thing, but it more or less sits on the back-burner while Jonah works through his thoughts on the world and Koko. Still, his turning a gun on Koko was fairly dramatic and definitely deserves the number one place on the list.
So did I get it right or do you think there are other Jonah moments in Jormungand that deserve a spot in the top 5? Let me know in the comments below.
Thank-you for reading 100 Word Anime.
Join the discussion in the comments.
Would you like to read more Top 5 lists?
- Top 5 Survival Anime – Murder Games, Zombies and MoreWith Battle Game in 5 Seconds coming to a close and Platinum End about to kick off yet more characters facing off against one another it felt like an appropriate time to look at my favourite survival anime. While not all of these are death game, battle royale style anime, they all involve characters fighting for survival. I’d love to know your favourite survival anime so be sure to leave me a comment.
- Top 5: Zen and Shirayuki MomentsThere are so many reasons to love Zen and Shirayuki as a couple. Here are my five favourite Zen and Shirayuki moments from Snow White with the Red Hair.
- Top 5: Character PosesEveryone know anime characters like to pose but what are the top 5 anime character poses? These are my pick
- Top 5 Sports Anime That Maybe Almost Convinced Me To Play A SportToday I’m looking at the 5 sports anime that while watching I at least entertained the idea of maybe playing the sport on offer. Usually common sense prevailed and I didn’t actually go forth and sport however given my recent joining of a volleyball comp I have to question how much anime influences my life choices.
- Top 5 Nice Guys/Girls in AnimeWho are the top 5 nice guys or girls in anime?
- Top 5: Supernatural Anime – They aren’t always creepy but these anime all do something a little beyond the ordinary.I love a good supernatural anime so cutting a list down to just 5 was quite the challenge. Here are my 5 favourite supernatural anime but I’d love to know your choices.