The child soldier recruited by Koko the arms-dealer as a body guard has some really fantastic moments throughout the two seasons of Jormungand. Here I’m counting down my favourite five moments with Jonah. I would love to know your favourite moments with Jonah.
Now there were a bunch more brilliant moments I’d have loved to mention, such as when he won at paint-ball, shouted for the doctor in the mountains, or even when he saved Koko during the Orchestra assassination attempt, but I did have to narrow this list to five. Please keep in mind, if you haven’t watched Jormungand, there’s going to be spoilers here.
Number 5 – Laughing While Escaping
We meet Jonah when he’s first recruited by Koko and he’s emotionally shut down with very little expression. Kind of understandable given he’s been a child soldier for some time and hates weapons but is now about to work for an arms dealer. Still, the first time he genuinely laughs when Koko pulls a fast one and leads her team to escape, abandoning another arms dealer in the process, is pretty amazing and the start of Jonah exhibiting a lot more emotions as the story progresses.
Number 4 – Attempting To Get Revenge on Kasper
Yeah, this doesn’t work out so well for Jonah anyway but anyone who has watched the series knows it was justified. Jonah’s first meeting with Kasper after joining Koko’s team is an emotional one with Jonah reaching for a knife. When we get the flashback showing how Kasper and Jonah met you fully understand Jonah’s impulse to stab the guy in the back, the front, or wherever else he manages to reach.
Number 3 – Protecting The Orphans
This is totally linked to his reason for hating Kasper but when we see Jonah prior to meeting Koko, he’s working at a military base that has a group of orphan children in it (not suspicious at all). Jonah has been sneaking them food and trying to look after them but he can’t do anything when they take one of them away (who does not return). This is the trigger that sets Jonah off on a fairly bloody campaign however he does manage to secure the safety of the remaining orphans, even if he owes that to Kasper in the end.
Number 2 – Being Targeted By Hex
It is sometimes hard to remember how young Jonah is given his behaviour in the story however there are times when we are made fully aware that he is young and vulnerable. Hex’s targeting of him when she’s denied the right to target Koko is one of the more emotionally charged moments in the series (and leads to the death of another character), but it is a great moment for Jonah as well. He identifies the danger and manages to keep himself and Koko alive long enough for the other character to reach them. He’s drugged and injured in the process but it was still a pretty impressive effort given what they were up against.
Number 1 – Turning Against Koko
From hating Koko because she’s an arms-dealer, to being intrigued by her, to having a relationship that is built on trust, to finally learning her secret, Jonah’s relationship with Koko is a complex one and one that ends up being the cornerstone of the climax of the series. Koko’s plan is one thing, but it more or less sits on the back-burner while Jonah works through his thoughts on the world and Koko. Still, his turning a gun on Koko was fairly dramatic and definitely deserves the number one place on the list.
So did I get it right or do you think there are other Jonah moments in Jormungand that deserve a spot in the top 5? Let me know in the comments below.
supporting 100 Word Anime.
Subscribe to the blog:
Would you like to read more Top 5 lists?
- Top 5 Best Game Anime That I’ve WatchedThere are lots of game based anime out there. Whether they are playing on the computer, playing shogi or anything else, games make for a great plot device. However, some anime just don’t quite manage to make the experience of watching people game fun. Here is my list of the Top 5 Worst Game Anime that I’ve watched.
- Top 5 Worst Game Anime That I’ve WatchedThere are lots of game based anime out there. Whether they are playing on the computer, playing shogi or anything else, games make for a great plot device. However, some anime just don’t quite manage to make the experience of watching people game fun. Here is my list of the Top 5 Worst Game Anime that I’ve watched.
- Top 5: Romantic Anime (updated July 2021)While this list was original pretty simple more and more romantic anime come out every year that compete for my attention. Here is my updated top 5 romantic anime for 2021. I’d love to know what are currently your favourite anime romances.
- Top 5 Moments From Vivy: Fluorite Eye’s SongWhile I’ve made it pretty clear I really enjoyed watching Vivy: Fluorite Eye’s Song during the spring 2021 season, I’m now looking back and trying to pick my favourite 5 moments. What were some of your best moments from the series?
- Top 5: Anime Eye Patch Wearing CharactersAnime eye patch wearing characters are kind of everywhere and there’s an endless stream of reasons for why the character needs to have any eye-patch (or sometimes there isn’t a reason and they just do). What I do know is that some anime characters really do rock the look and this is my list celebrating them.
- Top 5 Isekai Anime With A Female Lead – 2021 Has Seen More Titles But Are There Enough?Anime featuring characters transported to fantasy lands are not new. In fact, isekai anime are pretty much over-saturating the market with a handful more making the scene each season. What is harder to find are isekai anime with a female lead though fortunately this is becoming a bit easier now that we’re in 2021. Here are 5 isekai anime feature female main characters.