The child soldier recruited by Koko the arms-dealer as a body guard has some really fantastic moments throughout the two seasons of Jormungand. Here I’m counting down my favourite five moments with Jonah. I would love to know your favourite moments with Jonah.
Now there were a bunch more brilliant moments I’d have loved to mention, such as when he won at paint-ball, shouted for the doctor in the mountains, or even when he saved Koko during the Orchestra assassination attempt, but I did have to narrow this list to five. Please keep in mind, if you haven’t watched Jormungand, there’s going to be spoilers here.
Number 5 – Laughing While Escaping
We meet Jonah when he’s first recruited by Koko and he’s emotionally shut down with very little expression. Kind of understandable given he’s been a child soldier for some time and hates weapons but is now about to work for an arms dealer. Still, the first time he genuinely laughs when Koko pulls a fast one and leads her team to escape, abandoning another arms dealer in the process, is pretty amazing and the start of Jonah exhibiting a lot more emotions as the story progresses.
Number 4 – Attempting To Get Revenge on Kasper
Yeah, this doesn’t work out so well for Jonah anyway but anyone who has watched the series knows it was justified. Jonah’s first meeting with Kasper after joining Koko’s team is an emotional one with Jonah reaching for a knife. When we get the flashback showing how Kasper and Jonah met you fully understand Jonah’s impulse to stab the guy in the back, the front, or wherever else he manages to reach.
Number 3 – Protecting The Orphans
This is totally linked to his reason for hating Kasper but when we see Jonah prior to meeting Koko, he’s working at a military base that has a group of orphan children in it (not suspicious at all). Jonah has been sneaking them food and trying to look after them but he can’t do anything when they take one of them away (who does not return). This is the trigger that sets Jonah off on a fairly bloody campaign however he does manage to secure the safety of the remaining orphans, even if he owes that to Kasper in the end.
Number 2 – Being Targeted By Hex
It is sometimes hard to remember how young Jonah is given his behaviour in the story however there are times when we are made fully aware that he is young and vulnerable. Hex’s targeting of him when she’s denied the right to target Koko is one of the more emotionally charged moments in the series (and leads to the death of another character), but it is a great moment for Jonah as well. He identifies the danger and manages to keep himself and Koko alive long enough for the other character to reach them. He’s drugged and injured in the process but it was still a pretty impressive effort given what they were up against.
Number 1 – Turning Against Koko
From hating Koko because she’s an arms-dealer, to being intrigued by her, to having a relationship that is built on trust, to finally learning her secret, Jonah’s relationship with Koko is a complex one and one that ends up being the cornerstone of the climax of the series. Koko’s plan is one thing, but it more or less sits on the back-burner while Jonah works through his thoughts on the world and Koko. Still, his turning a gun on Koko was fairly dramatic and definitely deserves the number one place on the list.
So did I get it right or do you think there are other Jonah moments in Jormungand that deserve a spot in the top 5? Let me know in the comments below.
Thanks for reading
100 Word Anime.
Would you like to read more Top 5 lists?
- Top 5 Reasons To Watch Seasonal AnimeWhy watch seasonal anime? Here are 5 excellent reasons to get into seasonal anime viewing (with some down sides noted). I’m getting back into list writing.
- Top 5 Boys Love Anime I EnjoyedAfter finally getting to my review of Given I started wondering why I hadn’t done a list like this before. It occurred to me that the majority of Boys Love stories I’ve enjoyed have only come out in the last couple of years and so I probably wouldn’t have been able to put this list together previously. Anyway, here are my top 5 boys love anime that I enjoyed.
- Top 5 Moments I Realised Natsume Yuujinchou Is Actually Sometimes ScaryYou might be wondering why this sweet slice of life anime, Natsume Yuujinchou is getting featured in a month where I’m looking at spooky and creepy titles. Well, Natsume has well and truly earned his place here and let’s be real: sometimes life is scary, particularly when you can see yokai.
- Top 5 Creepy Anime OP’s and ED’sContinuing with the spooky October theme this week I’m counting down my favourite creepy anime OP’s and ED’s. These may or may not belong to creepy anime but the music certainly fits a horror story.
- Top 5 Creepy Monstrous Creatures In AnimeClosing in on Halloween it is once again time to bring out some spooky top 5 lists. This week I’m looking at the top 5 creepy monster-like creatures I’ve come across in anime. I’d love to know which monster you think is the creepiest that anime has ever bestowed upon us.
- Top 5 Jonah Moments From JormungandThe child soldier recruited by Koko the arms-dealer as a body guard has some really fantastic moments throughout the two seasons of Jormungand. Here I’m counting down my favourite five moments with Jonah. What are your favourites?