It’s actually getting hard to think of new top 5 lists for October this year as I’ve already covered my favourite horror anime and yokai as well as a range of other spooky topics in previous years. However, I realised I’d never done a list of creepy monsters that aren’t yokai and so here we go.
Number 5 – The Skull Reaper from Sword Art Online
This one might be only a program but it is definitely creepy and all those legs are definitely off-putting. This monster is responsible for the deaths of a lot of front line fighters and honestly even the main characters were lucky to get through this fight alive. When this thing appeared above the characters, clinging to the roof, that was one terror inspiring moment that would given any horror movie a run for its money.
Number 4 – Hollows from Bleach
While later on the standard hollows become almost a non-entity in Bleach as the villains and monsters get more and more ridiculously over-powered to match the protagonist’s growth, the very concept of hollows is pretty terrifying. If you think about it from the point of view of someone with just a little bit of spiritual energy, a creature you can’t really see might very easily be stalking you and can kill you before you even know it. Worse, if your spirit is eaten by a hollow you could become one yourself and then prey on your loved ones. While some of the hollow designs are more amusing than terrifying, they are still pretty creepy both in concept and appearance.
Number 3 – Akuma from D Gray Man
Definitely another case were the concept is pretty horrifying. D Gray Man definitely does creepy well and the primary monster the exorcists are fighting are the akuma created by the Millenium Earl. It gets worse when you realise these things are powered by the soul of a loved who was summoned in desperation and then they were forced to kill the one who summoned them. Yeah, there’s nothing right about the akuma.
Number 2 – Various Diseases from Cells at Work
You know the problem with anthropomorphic representations of cells in the body is that when creating germs, bacteria and even cancer cells, what you end up with is something straight out of your nightmares. While Cells at Work isn’t aiming in any way to scare, the depictions of the various ailments are sometimes incredibly creepy. Worse when you start thinking about what might be swimming around inside your own body.
Number 1 – Anything from Made in Abyss
The abyss is not a nice place and the creatures that call it home are incredibly monstrous by design. While there’s any number of horrifically creepy crawly I could describe I’d rather not spoil the impact of checking these monsters out first hand. However, for an anime that isn’t necessarily a horror, Made in Abyss most certainly new how to craft monsters.
Your turn now: what are your favourite creepy monsters from anime? I definitely considered the titans from Attack on Titan and the parasites from Parasyte though ultimately they didn’t make the final cut for me. How about you?
Thank-you for reading 100 Word Anime.
Hope you enjoyed.
Would you like to read more Top 5 lists?
- Top 5 Survival Anime – Murder Games, Zombies and MoreWith Battle Game in 5 Seconds coming to a close and Platinum End about to kick off yet more characters facing off against one another it felt like an appropriate time to look at my favourite survival anime. While not all of these are death game, battle royale style anime, they all involve characters fighting for survival. I’d love to know your favourite survival anime so be sure to leave me a comment.
- Top 5: Zen and Shirayuki MomentsThere are so many reasons to love Zen and Shirayuki as a couple. Here are my five favourite Zen and Shirayuki moments from Snow White with the Red Hair.
- Top 5: Character PosesEveryone know anime characters like to pose but what are the top 5 anime character poses? These are my pick
- Top 5 Sports Anime That Maybe Almost Convinced Me To Play A SportToday I’m looking at the 5 sports anime that while watching I at least entertained the idea of maybe playing the sport on offer. Usually common sense prevailed and I didn’t actually go forth and sport however given my recent joining of a volleyball comp I have to question how much anime influences my life choices.
- Top 5 Nice Guys/Girls in AnimeWho are the top 5 nice guys or girls in anime?
- Top 5: Supernatural Anime – They aren’t always creepy but these anime all do something a little beyond the ordinary.I love a good supernatural anime so cutting a list down to just 5 was quite the challenge. Here are my 5 favourite supernatural anime but I’d love to know your choices.