It’s actually getting hard to think of new top 5 lists for October this year as I’ve already covered my favourite horror anime and yokai as well as a range of other spooky topics in previous years. However, I realised I’d never done a list of creepy monsters that aren’t yokai and so here we go.
Number 5 – The Skull Reaper from Sword Art Online
This one might be only a program but it is definitely creepy and all those legs are definitely off-putting. This monster is responsible for the deaths of a lot of front line fighters and honestly even the main characters were lucky to get through this fight alive. When this thing appeared above the characters, clinging to the roof, that was one terror inspiring moment that would given any horror movie a run for its money.
Number 4 – Hollows from Bleach
While later on the standard hollows become almost a non-entity in Bleach as the villains and monsters get more and more ridiculously over-powered to match the protagonist’s growth, the very concept of hollows is pretty terrifying. If you think about it from the point of view of someone with just a little bit of spiritual energy, a creature you can’t really see might very easily be stalking you and can kill you before you even know it. Worse, if your spirit is eaten by a hollow you could become one yourself and then prey on your loved ones. While some of the hollow designs are more amusing than terrifying, they are still pretty creepy both in concept and appearance.
Number 3 – Akuma from D Gray Man
Definitely another case were the concept is pretty horrifying. D Gray Man definitely does creepy well and the primary monster the exorcists are fighting are the akuma created by the Millenium Earl. It gets worse when you realise these things are powered by the soul of a loved who was summoned in desperation and then they were forced to kill the one who summoned them. Yeah, there’s nothing right about the akuma.
Number 2 – Various Diseases from Cells at Work
You know the problem with anthropomorphic representations of cells in the body is that when creating germs, bacteria and even cancer cells, what you end up with is something straight out of your nightmares. While Cells at Work isn’t aiming in any way to scare, the depictions of the various ailments are sometimes incredibly creepy. Worse when you start thinking about what might be swimming around inside your own body.
Number 1 – Anything from Made in Abyss
The abyss is not a nice place and the creatures that call it home are incredibly monstrous by design. While there’s any number of horrifically creepy crawly I could describe I’d rather not spoil the impact of checking these monsters out first hand. However, for an anime that isn’t necessarily a horror, Made in Abyss most certainly new how to craft monsters.
Your turn now: what are your favourite creepy monsters from anime? I definitely considered the titans from Attack on Titan and the parasites from Parasyte though ultimately they didn’t make the final cut for me. How about you?
supporting 100 Word Anime.
Subscribe to the blog:
Would you like to read more Top 5 lists?
- Top 5 Anime That Enchant By Using Time Travel As a Narrative DeviceWith Vivy: Fluorite Eye’s Song charming me during the Spring 2021 season, I decided to look back at other time travel anime that have enchanted me over the years. Here are my top 5 picks but I’d love to know which time travel anime you’ve enjoyed so be sure to start the discussion in the comments.
- Top 5 Best Game Anime That I’ve WatchedThere are lots of game based anime out there. Whether they are playing on the computer, playing shogi or anything else, games make for a great plot device. However, some anime just don’t quite manage to make the experience of watching people game fun. Here is my list of the Top 5 Worst Game Anime that I’ve watched.
- Top 5 Worst Game Anime That I’ve WatchedThere are lots of game based anime out there. Whether they are playing on the computer, playing shogi or anything else, games make for a great plot device. However, some anime just don’t quite manage to make the experience of watching people game fun. Here is my list of the Top 5 Worst Game Anime that I’ve watched.
- Top 5: Romantic Anime (updated July 2021)While this list was original pretty simple more and more romantic anime come out every year that compete for my attention. Here is my updated top 5 romantic anime for 2021. I’d love to know what are currently your favourite anime romances.
- Top 5 Moments From Vivy: Fluorite Eye’s SongWhile I’ve made it pretty clear I really enjoyed watching Vivy: Fluorite Eye’s Song during the spring 2021 season, I’m now looking back and trying to pick my favourite 5 moments. What were some of your best moments from the series?
- Top 5: Anime Eye Patch Wearing CharactersAnime eye patch wearing characters are kind of everywhere and there’s an endless stream of reasons for why the character needs to have any eye-patch (or sometimes there isn’t a reason and they just do). What I do know is that some anime characters really do rock the look and this is my list celebrating them.