Continuing with the spooky October theme this week I’m counting down my favourite creepy anime OP’s and ED’s. These may or may not belong to creepy anime but the music certainly fits a horror story. As always I’d love to know your choices so if you have a favourite creepy OP or ED be sure to share it in the comments below.
Number 5 – From the Edge (ED from Demon Slayer)
There’s not a lot to say with this one and I’m sure most of you have been listening to it for the past six months. While the visuals are relatively optimistic from the opening notes to the undertones of the song, I found this one relatively creepy and when closing my eyes I could imagine a much darker horror story playing out around this music.
Number 4 – Ghost Hunt Main Theme
Visually this one is probably the least spectacular on the list but in terms of atmosphere it has definitely hit the right mark. Despite it being relatively dull to look at I don’t think I’ve ever skipped the OP when watching Ghost Hunt as it really just sets the mood absolutely perfectly. It’s one of those times where I feel if they ever rebooted the series or made a continuation they would have to get this music again.
Number 3 – Still Doll (ED From Vampire Knight)
From an anime that definitely isn’t creepy despite the presence of vampires, unless you find the main character’s relationships shiver worthy, Vampire Knight gives us an ED that is both compelling and unnerving. This is another one of those songs I never skipped and is one of the few anime songs I learned the lyrics to in Japanese because I just find it really great to listen to (not that I can actually hit all the notes). Still, it is one of my favourite creepy anime songs.
Number 2 – Magia (ED from Madoka Magica)
Considering some of the themes and decisions characters had to make in Madoka Magica, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that some of the music in it was quite dark. Where both Ghost Hunt and Vampire Knight go for a more quiet and contemplative take to build unease, Madoka manages to bring the fully creepy while still seeming upbeat and driving. It is one of those songs that just perfectly catches a mood and a tone and fits its anime absolutely perfectly.
Number 1 – Naraku no Hana (OP from Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai)
I absolutely loved this OP the first time I saw it. I remember I saw this as part of a You Tube compilation video and tracked down the anime from there. Which also explains how I managed to watch Kai before the first season because I didn’t actually realise it was a sequel. That said, this opening gives us the full package of creepy music and visuals. Sure there’s moments of brightness and happiness but there’s a lot of fairly dark imagery underpinning this opening as well and it has definitely earned its place at the top of my list.
Over to you: Which anime OP’s and ED’s do you think are the creepiest whether the anime they are attached to are scary or not?
supporting 100 Word Anime.
Subscribe to the blog:
Would you like to read more Top 5 lists?
- Top 5 Anime With FairiesFairies are fun to see in stories because there’s so many variations and forms on the idea of what a … Continue reading Top 5 Anime With Fairies
- Top 5 Signs You’ve Been Completely Charmed By An Anime’s First EpisodeIt happens a lot. You watch a first episode usually going in without much clue and when you get to the end of that twenty minute block you are hyped. This is it. It will be the anime of the season. You must tell everyone about it. Sometimes the first episode is a sign of things to come and other times it is going to leave you disappointed by the end, but here are the top 5 signs you just got completely charmed by an anime’s first episode.
- Top 5 Blandest Isekai Anime That Seem To Put In Zero EffortWhile I love a good isekai anime with the vast open worlds and potential for exploration, magic and adventure, even I have to admit that more than a few anime where protagonists find themselves sent to another world just come across as lazy. Here are the top 5 isekai anime that I watched to the end that pretty much just seemed to not be putting in any effort to engage and were mostly going through the motions of following a plot line that had been made popular by more successful (and usually better written) shows.
- Tuesday’s Top 5: Weird Episode TitlesFrequently you don’t really know what an individual episode is called but when you buy the DVD or start searching … Continue reading Tuesday’s Top 5: Weird Episode Titles
- Tuesday’s Top 5: Top 5 Red-Heads (Female)Here we are with my very first top 5 list. Naturally I chose a topic near and dear to my … Continue reading Tuesday’s Top 5: Top 5 Red-Heads (Female)
- Top 5 Reasons To Watch Seasonal AnimeWhy watch seasonal anime? Here are 5 excellent reasons to get into seasonal anime viewing (with some down sides noted). I’m getting back into list writing.