Continuing with the spooky October theme this week I’m counting down my favourite creepy anime OP’s and ED’s. These may or may not belong to creepy anime but the music certainly fits a horror story. As always I’d love to know your choices so if you have a favourite creepy OP or ED be sure to share it in the comments below.
Number 5 – From the Edge (ED from Demon Slayer)
There’s not a lot to say with this one and I’m sure most of you have been listening to it for the past six months. While the visuals are relatively optimistic from the opening notes to the undertones of the song, I found this one relatively creepy and when closing my eyes I could imagine a much darker horror story playing out around this music.
Number 4 – Ghost Hunt Main Theme
Visually this one is probably the least spectacular on the list but in terms of atmosphere it has definitely hit the right mark. Despite it being relatively dull to look at I don’t think I’ve ever skipped the OP when watching Ghost Hunt as it really just sets the mood absolutely perfectly. It’s one of those times where I feel if they ever rebooted the series or made a continuation they would have to get this music again.
Number 3 – Still Doll (ED From Vampire Knight)
From an anime that definitely isn’t creepy despite the presence of vampires, unless you find the main character’s relationships shiver worthy, Vampire Knight gives us an ED that is both compelling and unnerving. This is another one of those songs I never skipped and is one of the few anime songs I learned the lyrics to in Japanese because I just find it really great to listen to (not that I can actually hit all the notes). Still, it is one of my favourite creepy anime songs.
Number 2 – Magia (ED from Madoka Magica)
Considering some of the themes and decisions characters had to make in Madoka Magica, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that some of the music in it was quite dark. Where both Ghost Hunt and Vampire Knight go for a more quiet and contemplative take to build unease, Madoka manages to bring the fully creepy while still seeming upbeat and driving. It is one of those songs that just perfectly catches a mood and a tone and fits its anime absolutely perfectly.
Number 1 – Naraku no Hana (OP from Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai)
I absolutely loved this OP the first time I saw it. I remember I saw this as part of a You Tube compilation video and tracked down the anime from there. Which also explains how I managed to watch Kai before the first season because I didn’t actually realise it was a sequel. That said, this opening gives us the full package of creepy music and visuals. Sure there’s moments of brightness and happiness but there’s a lot of fairly dark imagery underpinning this opening as well and it has definitely earned its place at the top of my list.
Over to you: Which anime OP’s and ED’s do you think are the creepiest whether the anime they are attached to are scary or not?
Thank-you for reading 100 Word Anime.
Join the discussion in the comments.
Would you like to read more Top 5 lists?
- Top 5: Reasons to Watch EvangelionHere are 5 reasons to watch Evangelion. What reasons would you give?
- Top 5 Survival Anime – Murder Games, Zombies and MoreWith Battle Game in 5 Seconds coming to a close and Platinum End about to kick off yet more characters facing off against one another it felt like an appropriate time to look at my favourite survival anime. While not all of these are death game, battle royale style anime, they all involve characters fighting for survival. I’d love to know your favourite survival anime so be sure to leave me a comment.
- Top 5: Zen and Shirayuki MomentsThere are so many reasons to love Zen and Shirayuki as a couple. Here are my five favourite Zen and Shirayuki moments from Snow White with the Red Hair.
- Top 5: Character PosesEveryone know anime characters like to pose but what are the top 5 anime character poses? These are my pick
- Top 5 Sports Anime That Maybe Almost Convinced Me To Play A SportToday I’m looking at the 5 sports anime that while watching I at least entertained the idea of maybe playing the sport on offer. Usually common sense prevailed and I didn’t actually go forth and sport however given my recent joining of a volleyball comp I have to question how much anime influences my life choices.
- Top 5 Nice Guys/Girls in AnimeWho are the top 5 nice guys or girls in anime?