Voice of Fox Episode 6 Review
There was a moment somewhere during episode 6 of Voice of Fox, and it probably came close to the end of the episode where the titular ‘trap’ was revealed where I realised just how into this anime I actually am. Yes, there have been coincidences and silly moments peppered along the trail, but at its core, Voice of Fox has been driving to this climatic moment since episode 1 and it delivered it with an emotional weight some other anime series couldn’t have mustered even with twenty minute episodes by season’s end.
Six episodes of barely over ten minutes each and several moments lost entirely to comedy (which has mostly worked in an eye-rolling kind of manner) and singing (which has been glorious and can we please have more). In just the time left, Voice of Fox (or Kitsune no Koe) has made me love Hu Li and feel dearly for his predicament. We still don’t even know the full story behind said predicament but we know enough to care, and boy has this anime made me care.
With the fake out reveal of Sky, Hu Li’s desperation, and then the final reveal this week, all beautifully rounded out by the devastating silence and then isolated sound of the fox mask hitting the floor, every part of this episode did exactly what it needed to in order to carry the audience to that moment. It genuinely hurt to watch and the desperation to give Hu Li a hug was very real as was the desire for the next episode right now.
This is an anime that hasn’t gotten anywhere near enough attention this season. I’m not saying it will work for everyone. It is idol focused, it is a short form anime, the animation isn’t amazing and the story is hardly a work of art, but it is a seriously competent effort and what it has delivered has been consistently good and right now I’m really feeling that last episode.
Hopefully the conclusion can be as good as the build up to this moment was because so far Voice of Fox has managed to be a surprising delight.
- Episode 1 – Curiosity
- Episode 2 – It Isn’t Paranoia When They Are Watching
- Episode 3 – Relying on Coincidence, Mishap and Luck
- Episode 4 – Is Hu Li Losing His Resolve?
- Episode 5 – Can Hu Li Actually Conquer Sky’s Twisted Challenge
- Episode 6 – The Incredible Realisation That This Anime is Amazing
- Episode 7 – The Fallout From A Fox’s Shattered Reputation
- Episode 8 – Do These Characters Have the Courage to Face Their Ghosts?
- Episode 9 – Rumours and Lies, Tragedies and Triumphs
- Episode 10 – It’s Never As Simple As Follow Your Dream
- Episode 11 – Voice of Rumours Vs Voice of Reason
- Episode 12 – The Final Face off For The Fox