Conception Episode 11 Review
I’m not sure if this counts as getting my wish or not, though episode 11 of Conception did at least address the issue of the 13th Labyrinth and what Itsuki will need to do to save the world. So I guess that is technically developing a plot that for large chunks of this series feels like it got jettisoned as inconvenient in amongst all the dating and off-colour jokes.
But, then there’s the episode beginning which brings us yet more sex jokes at the expense of seemingly underage characters (though it turns out Alfie is older than she looks). Follow that up with the climatic centre piece of this episode, Itsuki going to be with Mana, and this episode if firmly reminding the audience of what its actual focus has been.
Still, as the penultimate episode of an anime with a large cast, Conception did at least try to remind us that these girls weren’t just disposable commodities to cater to all audience fetishes (sure they weren’t). After hearing the news that he’s unlikely to survive saving the world, Itsuki decides to go present shopping for the girls and what follows is a montage of Itsuki having a cute Christmas moment with each and every one of the previously used and swiftly forgotten Star Maidens. Some of these moments are kind of cute but it doesn’t make the fact that the show is relying on still images and music to convey an emotional narrative that none of the rest of the anime has actually supported.
My money is still on Itsuki surviving this but it is almost irrelevant at this point. If he does survive I’m guessing the final moments of this anime will be Itsuki with all the girls and the guys because this anime keeps feeling the need to one up itself and they’ve done pretty much everything else at this point except actually show the characters having sex.
This is definitely what happens when you know an anime is not going to be something you like but because of one minor bit of curiosity you stick it out. You get to episode 11 and think the next episode can’t come and go fast enough so you never have to think about the anime again.
- Episode 1 – We Can’t Accuse Them Of Being Subtle Here
- Episode 2 – Star Children and Labyrinths
- Episode 3 – If We Got Rid of the Tanuki This Would Be Better
- Episode 4 – A Touching Story Told Between Lewd Jokes
- Episode 5 + 6 – Controversial Fortunes, Candid Fan Photos and Helping Bakers
- Episode 7 – Exploring Inuendo and Bread at the Festival
- Episode 8 – A Story of Fan Service, Parodies, and Star Children
- Episode 9 – It’s The Joke That Just Keeps On Missing
- Episode 10 – 100 Ways to Remove and Obnoxious Character
- Episode 11 – The Day Itsuki Had Sex With Mana?
- Episode 12 – Bye Bye Conception! And At Last It’s Done