That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Episode 17 Review
The city of monsters continues to grow and it is attracting a lot of attention with demon lords sending lackeys and two human kingdoms sending representatives. It means we need to buckle in for a lot of talking but the occasional fight, or Shion knocking an arrogant human over the head with her sheathed sword, keeps things light enough as this story goes through its set-up for future developments.
However, what keeps it interesting is the speculation from the viewer. How will this go wrong? Or go right? What will that lead to? Early in the episode we see that Vesta has succeeded at making a healing potion equivalent to Rimuru’s and Rimuru wants to trade and sell it but the dwarf blacksmith and Vesta don’t see that as practical for everyday use. It does make you wonder if too much of that healing potion got out would kings even worry about sending their troops into battle anymore knowing they could pretty much instantly heal them from anything short of absolute death? There’s a lot of implications around the mass-production of such a potion and while the anime touches on the surface it is enough to set the viewer’s mind running down a million potential plot points in the future.
I’ll also give Millim credit for not being anywhere near as annoying as I thought she was going to be, they even found her an actual outfit to wear (though what is with the school girl look). She’s brash and childish but her genuine desire to be with Rimuru as friends is kind of adorable and his manipulation of her is pretty funny to watch. Particularly when she’s glaring daggers at one of the representatives until Rimuru glances at her and then she’s all smiles. It is silly and childish but it works well enough and adds a bit of vibrant energy to what might otherwise have been a fairly level episode.
This episode alone, much like the last one, isn’t that great on its own. But as a stepping stone and an ongoing part of the world building, it works pretty good. I’m more and more convinced that this anime would be better binged but it is working well enough week to week. Looking forward to the next episode.
Or, use one of my product affiliate links.
NENDOROID NO. 1067 THAT TIME I GOT REINCARNATED AS A SLIME: RIMURU
- Episode 1 – Strictly Set Up
- Episode 2 – So I Ate A Dragon and A Snake And A Bat Thing…
- Episode 3 – Submissive Wolves and Buff Goblins
- Episode 4 – Dwarven Blacksmiths and Giggling Elves
- Episode 5 – Past Wrongs and Future Destinies
- Episode 6 – The Importance of Pacing To Build Tension
- Episode 7 – Miraculous Survival of the Slime
- Episode 8 – 3 Ways Slime Is Exploring Endings and Beginnings
- Episode 9 – Watch The Slime Playing with Powers and Defeating Ogres
- Episode 10 – Slime, Ogres and Lizardmen; The Coming Conflict Looks Colourful
- Episode 11 – The Worst Way To Learn the Skill of Diplomacy
- Episode 12 – How Even The Best Laid Plans Can Be Derailed by Idiots
- Episode 13 – War: Crushing March of the Overpowered Monsters
- Episode 14 – The Fitting End of the Orc Lord Courtesy of the Slime
- Episode 15 – The Accidental Creation of a Slime Nation
- Episode 16 – Can You Catch More Demon Lords with Honey?
- Episode 17 – That Time The Powerful Slime Decided To Dabble in Diplomacy
- Episode 18 – The Slime, The Demon Lord and The Flying Sharks?
- Episode 19 – That Time We Defeated a Catastrophe Without Really Trying
- Episode 20 – Well It’s Been Fun, But Now We’ll Count Down Until The End
- Episode 21 – Who Would Have Thought That All You Need Is A Dog And Unlimited Power?
- Episode 22 – That Time We Found a Fairy Who is a Demon Lord?
- Episode 23 – That Time The Show Ended And The Audience Wondered Why?
- Episode 24 (Extra) – And Then Shizue Stole the Anime Right Out From Under Rimuru
- Episode 24.5 (Padding) – Now Worth The Slime
- Images from: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. Dir. Y Kikuchi. 8Bit. 2018.