I know I said I wanted them to get Kakeru’s angsty back story out there and over with, but this episode took that very literally with the majority of the episode focusing on Kakeru still being torn about running and his emotional state. We finally see the events that lead up to him ending up stealing the bread and his side of that story, though there are still a few key points missing as to how it got to that point in the first place. However, we also see more about Kakeru running in high school and why he has some issues around the idea of teams.
Now, Haiji comes through in this episode for both Kakeru and Prince giving just the right words of encouragement. This would be great except it kind of smacks of insincerity when he tells Kakeru to do what he wants to do after essentially coercing the entire dorm into running in the first place. Still, it was the right word at the right time so I guess Haiji maintains his status as a fairly solid manipulator.
Of course, the MVP of this episode is Prince. Both in his interactions with Kakeru at the university and his outrage at the end before fainting where just kind of great moments. Of all the characters so far, Prince is the one who I really have enjoyed getting to know, though I still feel a bit sorry for him getting dragged out running all the time. Still, most of the characters don’t seem to be complaining as much or seem to be being dragged so much anymore. In fact, there’s a definite sweeping mood change that even the characters note that almost half of them are actually fully on-board with this whole running thing now.
So basically, things continue to play out as expected in terms of character and plot. Visually this anime remains really beautifully done and the pacing of the episode is great. I’m still really enjoying how this story is executed and I’m looking forward to more of this show.
Play Asia Exclusive
- Run With The Wind Series Review
- Episode 1 – Another character dragging others along in pursuit of their dreams.
- Episode 2 – The hard sell
- Episode 3 – As the wind blows
- Episode 4 – A wind of change
- Episode 5 – Scattered by the winds
- Episode 6 – No need to be frantic; It will all blow over soon
- Episode 7 – An opportunity to knock the wind clean out of their sails
- Episode 8 – The Downfalls of the Pursuit of Perfection
- Episode 9 – You Really Have To Step Back To See What’s There
- Episode 10 – How Run With The Wind Shows Us To Celebrate Effort Rather Than Achievement
- Episode 11 – Why Run With The Wind is an Oustanding Example of the Use of Sound
- Episode 12 – The Change of Seasons Welcomes a Changing Wind
- Episode 13 – Clearing the Air With The help of Friends
- Episode 14 – Facing Forward is Easier When You Know Someone Has Your Back
- Episode 15 – How Did They Make Me Start Caring?
- Episode 16 – The Moment Of Truth From All That Training
- Episode 17 – Should They Follow The Course Before Them?
- Episode 18 – May The Wind Be At Their Backs
- Episode 19 – They Are Three Runners Down With Seven To Go
- Episode 20 – Blowing Past Your Limits
- Episode 21 – Finding Your Own Wind
- Episode 22 – Running With The Wind And With Your Team
- Episode 23 – The Final Wind
- Images from: Run With the Wind. Dir. K Nomura. Production I.G. 2018.