Voice of Fox Episode 9 Review
This week finally reveals the accident that put Hu Li’s mother in a coma and gave him the ‘burn’ on his face. I know that is supposed to be a scar but honestly it mostly looks like a tattoo or poorly applied make-up. Anyway, for the first time I really felt they rushed over what should have been a fairly emotional note in the story. And it is no wonder. Given they also crammed Kong Que’s angst-ridden back story into the same episode.
Now both of these things are important given Hu Li has to overcome his tragedy if he’s actually going to take to the stage and that Kong Que is getting involved in some scheme with his father that is sure to be bad news. However, given the build up, the rushed through delivery, while serviceable and getting the idea across, wasn’t exactly getting the emotional impact across with it. Which is a real shame given so far Voice of Fox has done a relatively good job at building up and conveying emotional moments despite its short run time.
Yet if you think they were stopping there, think again. They also crammed in an interview with Chuyun where she essentially gets fans back on board despite her knowing about Hu Li. This enrages her group member, who is more or less just consumed with jealousy at this point and has some really poor reasoning skills, and so a rumour is started on social media that Chuyun is going to go solo. In the midst of the social media fallout from that Hu Li receives a call from Chuyun and then the episode ends.
It’s a lot for an eleven minute episode and a lot of the nuances don’t quite hit their mark this week. That said, I’m fully on board with this story at this point given the build up so far so I’m just hoping this isn’t a sign that they are going to self-destruct in a rush to get to the end.
- Episode 1 – Curiosity
- Episode 2 – It Isn’t Paranoia When They Are Watching
- Episode 3 – Relying on Coincidence, Mishap and Luck
- Episode 4 – Is Hu Li Losing His Resolve?
- Episode 5 – Can Hu Li Actually Conquer Sky’s Twisted Challenge
- Episode 6 – The Incredible Realisation That This Anime is Amazing
- Episode 7 – The Fallout From A Fox’s Shattered Reputation
- Episode 8 – Do These Characters Have the Courage to Face Their Ghosts?
- Episode 9 – Rumours and Lies, Tragedies and Triumphs
- Episode 10 – It’s Never As Simple As Follow Your Dream
- Episode 11 – Voice of Rumours Vs Voice of Reason
- Episode 12 – The Final Face off For The Fox