Well, the Summer 2017 season has ended and we are now heading straight into the Autumn season. Looking forward to all the new anime to sample over the next couple of weeks before settling on a watch list. It has been awhile since I’ve done an end of month reflection so I thought now was a good time and I also have a few announcements about stuff that is coming up in the future (and yes, stuff is a very vague term). Even if you skip the reflections part, check out the announcements.
Back in May I had my one year blog anniversary and set myself some goals for the next 12 months. There’s still some time to go but those goals were:
- Actually post some sort of video content that isn’t dribble on the blog (hopefully I can achieve this goal though this is the one I am most iffy about).
- I’d like to hit 10,000 views in a single month. I think that is a reasonable growth expectation in the next 12 months.
- Continue to post daily.
- Find more ways to engage the anime community in conversation and to interact with my followers (working on this though suggestions are welcome).
- Most important – continue to have a lot of fun with anime and with the blog.
So how am I going?
01. Video content: I’m actually nearly done on the first attempt at a video blog. I’ve got a few more edits and things to play with and I’ve already made a list about two pages long of things I would not do next time and things that I will fix for the next video but I am not willing to redo that section of the video again at this point. Once it is finalised, I am going to make it available to my patrons for feedback and depending on where that goes (I suspect it may take me back to the drawing board) eventually I may have something I can post on my blog. Still, this has been a fairly fun project and one I’ve learned a lot from (mostly that I am time poor at the moment and need to be aware of committing myself to too many projects as full time work and blogging multiple posts everyday as well as actually watching anime is really about as much as I can handle.
02. 10,000 view in a single month… Hm, no.
May, the anniversary month, was my biggest month and since then I kind of plateued in terms of views with September being quite weak (for a number of reasons). That said, the number of visitors my blog has received has continued to grow even if number of views hasn’t.
So while that 10,000 views in a month hasn’t happened yet and may not, I’m really happy with the growth my blog has had since I started it in May 2016 and I’m really happy with the community of anime fans and bloggers that I get to interact with every week. All and all, I’m not too concerned with this goal at this point.
03. Continue to post daily. Yes!
I took the capture a few days before September ended, but essentially I’ve been consistent on three posts a day. The anniversary week in May had a bunch of extra posts for the anniversary, and some weeks I had an extra review or two to sneak in, but mostly I’m pretty consistent in my scheduling at this point. I’m hoping to continue with this, though as I look at other types of content and projects, I may need to cut down from three a day just to give me some more time to spend on those projects. We’ll see what the future brings on that.
04. Find new ways to engage the anime community. Kind of?
I started up a Facebook page and ran a small competition which was kind of fun and now I’m very slowly finding various anime bloggers who have Facebook pages that I can follow and get updates that way. I’m not very Facebook savvy so this is another slow project. However, there is something happening with my seasonal reviews this month so keep reading to find out what’s up with that. Obviously though, this one I’m still going to keep working on.
05. Continue to have fun. Definitely. I absolutely love running this blog and all the people I have met because of it. I want to keep doing what I’m doing and trying new things and meeting new people and I want to watch and talk about a lot of anime.
So, we’ll see where things are sitting with each of these goals in a few months and then the next anniversary will be rolling around. I know, it is over half a year away but time has been flying and I do like to plan ahead.
01. WeekendOtaku and I have been talking on Twitter and have decided to collaborate on a project we very imaginatively titled 200 Word Anime for the Autumn season. Essentially we’ve chosen two shows that’s we’ll both review with one to be posted here on 100 Word Anime and one to be posted on Weekend’s blog. Hence, 200 word anime because it will be two of us writing short reviews on the episode. While we’ve chosen the shows, we’re both still just waiting to check that we actually do have access to them and then we’ll finalize the choice. Still, I’m really looking forward to this project and working with Weekend on it. Hopefully you will all check out the posts when they come out.
02. I kind of already announced this above, but I have been in very slow steps working on developing a video post. Now, previously my video editing experience was making an incredibly terrible AMV for a friend’s birthday that mostly consisted of just playing a song over cut anime scenes. So, thanks to the entire world for making several million YouTube videos on how to use a video editor and all the tutorials with handy screen captures and the like. That said, I’m thinking my main communication form is going to remain text for a long time to come given I’m far more comfortable typing than video editing. Still, some different content would be lovely in the future so this is a first step and hopefully will be available to patrons by the end of the week (maybe two weeks, we’ll see). Of course I still have the nightmare of figuring out how to upload and share said content.
One thing that did become a bit clearer though, was that I could probably do some audio blogs fairly easily now that I’ve kind of worked out how to edit audio to a ‘reasonable’ quality. Reasonable is definitely a subjective term but it isn’t a horrendous mass of hisses anymore so there’s been some improvement there. I’ll continue to work on this side of things so hopefully 2018 will see a little bit of variety in my posting from time to time.
03. And this one is the tease announcement. January 2018. Watch this space. See, I said I liked to plan ahead.
Anyway, I’d like to offer one huge thank-you to everyone who has come along with me on this journey, whether you have been here from the start in May 2016 or whether you have just come on board. Thanks so much for your support and making me a part of your community.
Thanks for reading.
If you enjoyed this post and like the blog, consider becoming a patron to support further growth and future content.