Episode 13 of Record of Grancrest War and while this anime found some direction last week, it still hasn’t managed to really figure out how pacing should work. What did you think of this latest episode?
There was a lot to like in this most recent episode. For one thing, Theo was actually acting on the promise he made back in episode 1 and for once seems to have some genuine motivation of his own rather than follow Siluca’s advice to achieve ends we never knew he wanted. The second reason is that this episode brings a few key points in this series back that had kind of drifted away. You know, the whole chaos monster thing that seemed like such a big deal and that witch in the forest who ran away and then we never saw her again? Both of these come back in this episode as actual plot points.
And yet, the anime still doesn’t know how to deal with introductions and pacing. In this episode we meet Rebecca, clearly Theo’s old flame from way back when, we find out Theo’s tragic back story, Rebecca betrays him, then changes her mind, finally she sacrifices herself for Theo’s cause. That’s kind of a lot to pack into twenty minutes and given I hadn’t heard mention of this Rebecca chick prior to this episode it was hard to really share Theo’s pain here.
Still, a fairly decent effort by this show at this point and time and far fewer issues than some of the previous episodes have had.
- Episode 12: This May Have Found Some Direction, At Last
- Episode 11: Does This Mean Theo Will Get Some Actual Screen Time?
- Episode 10: And We’re Back To The Cliff-Notes Version of Epic Battles
- Episode 9: Has This Show Turned A Corner, Or Are They Just Hoping This Will Keep Viewers Into The Spring Season?
- Episode 8: People Show A Startling Lack of Reason Of Good Judgement
- Episode 7: Loyalty Is Quite Cheap In This Show
- Episode 6: A Dance and A Battle
- Episode 5: Did You Know There Were Vampires? I Sure Didn’t
- Episode 4: Finally
- Episode 3: Do You Suppose We’ll Ever Know Everything A Crest Can Do?
- Episode 2: Some Nice Touches This Week
- Episode 1: She’s Going To Help Him Achieve His Dream Provided She Doesn’t Kill Him First
Thanks for reading.
Consider supporting the blog by: