I previously reviewed the first arc Evil Spirits All Over. Now that Mai is part of Shibuya Psychic Research I want to look at their next case.
Review: The Doll House
The SPR team are hired to investigate a haunted house where a woman lives with her sister-in-law and niece. The rest of our psychics, spiritualists and mediums show up to help out on the case.
This arc is a great creepy, haunted house story. You’ve got the creepy kid with the seriously creepy doll and a step-mum who seems mysteriously cold. Add in some thumps, bangs, furniture rearrangement and messages being written on walls and you have everything you need for an entertaining ghost story.
This arc does use a lot of the same techniques as the first, but it feels more like they are trying to establish a pattern before they get a bit more experimental in their ghost hunting.
- Mai demonstrates some psychic ability of her own even while she continues to learn about the business.
- Ayami is adorable as the creepy kid.
- Minnie (the doll) is possibly able to hold up the horror end of a ghost story all on her own.
- Why doesn’t Kazuya just tell the others what he is going to do? I know this becomes an established pattern, but it makes no sense and adds needless conflict.
- The step-mum leaves and no one ever mentions her again. Hello, she just ditched her step-daughter and left and no-one thinks this is worth commenting on?
While the doll house isn’t one of my favourite arcs in this series, it certainly has impact and is effective as a ghost story.