Well, the sleazy concept here turns out to be a gimmick at best given despite the premise of guy needs to produce star children with twelve girls and each one needs a ritual that takes place on a large bed and involves the removal of clothes for some reason, there’s really nothing more to it. To be honest, I’m kind of happy Conception didn’t follow through for the simple reason that a lot of the female characters look way too young to be caught up in that kind of thing. But, there’s an issue of the gimmick part of this show being allowed to overtake common sense. Not explaining the ritual fully to Itsuki, or the dangers of the Labyrinth just kind of make it all seem like they are desperate to make some fairly dull viewing seem in anyway compelling.
And yes, I did just call a show that begins with a child being produced (somehow), goes to a flower viewing sequence before yet another child is produced between the same guy and a different girl before switching to the labyrinth where both said star children get hit and turned into what look like Russian dolls before Itsuki skedaddles, dull. At the thirteen minute mark I was checking the episode time convinced it had to be nearly over only to realise that was the half-way mark.
And what really annoys, is that under all the ridiculous trappings, there is actually something resembling an interesting plot. The visitor from another world having to defeat the labyrinth is actually kind of fine and if the girls could just entrust him with some ancient weapon of something rather than producing star kids, we could cut a lot of nonsense out and just have Itsuki win their trust, receive the whatevers, and then enter the labyrinth and go and defeat some impurity. But no, we have endless fan-service fuelled moments that by themselves aren’t bad, but they are poorly executed and seem to miss their timing more often than not. And that tanuki still hasn’t found a paper shredder to run himself through.
I’m giving this one more episode for the simple fact that I want to see if Itsuki is actually going to come up with a plan now that he’s been in the labyrinth though I’m not holding my breath for finishing this one.
- Episode 1 – We Can’t Accuse Them Of Being Subtle Here
- Episode 2 – Star Children and Labyrinths
- Episode 3 – If We Got Rid of the Tanuki This Would Be Better
- Episode 4 – A Touching Story Told Between Lewd Jokes
- Episode 5 + 6 – Controversial Fortunes, Candid Fan Photos and Helping Bakers
- Episode 7 – Exploring Inuendo and Bread at the Festival
- Episode 8 – A Story of Fan Service, Parodies, and Star Children
- Episode 9 – It’s The Joke That Just Keeps On Missing
- Episode 10 – 100 Ways to Remove and Obnoxious Character
- Episode 11 – The Day Itsuki Had Sex With Mana?
- Episode 12 – Bye Bye Conception! And At Last It’s Done