Grimms Notes Episode 11 Review
For a penultimate episode this was pretty meh and also pretty confusing. I’d always assumed that they transformed into characters they had met. Ex’s first transformation kind of broke that pattern but otherwise mostly they are characters we’ve seen in the world, or I assumed characters the others met before they met Ex. But clearly Reina had never been to Wonderland and met Alice for real so now I’m just plain confused.
Grimms Notes did at least break the formulaic mould it had created in this episode. While it all seemed to follow the usual pattern, the villains threw a curve ball in at the end which is what will lead us into the final episode (or at least what I assume is a final episode), so points at least for that.
Turns out Alice and the White Rabbit have joined forces with the Queen of Hearts to remove any trace of wonder from Wonderland. They act like the disciplinary committee from an anime high school and arrest anyone who is seen doing anything that might be vaguely fun by the looks. Turns out these people end up on trial and are then sentenced to death.
Which seems dark but don’t expect the episode to linger on that point.
Anyway, Reina’s absolutely crushed her hero, Alice, is behaving in such a way and more or less spends the episode trying to talk her into believing in the power of stories. It is all very cute with some fun messages to be had, but this anime just doesn’t have the narrative strength to pull it off in any manner other than stale.
As for Tao and Shane, they’ve more of less become the peanut gallery since their focal episode and could more or less vanish without appreciably hurting the plot at this point. Even the fight scene had them do one attack and then promptly vanish from existence while Ex and Reina finished it off (or tried to).
I guess we’ll see what the villains have planned next week and maybe it will save this show from quietly slipping into forgettable sub-par history.
supporting 100 Word Anime.
Subscribe to the blog:
- Grimms Notes Series Review
- Episode 1: This Fairy Tale Oozes a Lack of Imagination
- Episode 2: The Fine Art of Not Explaining Things
- Episode 3: In The Absence Of Direction, Make Your Fate
- Episode 4: Are Destiny and Fate Really All Just Written?
- Episode 5: The Death of the Dream, the Birth of a Despairing Villain
- Episode 6: Every Episode Makes Me Question Their Motives More
- Episodes 7 and 8: The Outlook is Grimm
- Episode 9: This Story is Getting a Little Grimm
- Episode 10: In The Absence of a Reasonable Argument, Rely on Sophistry
- Episode 11: Alice The Disciplinarian in Wonderless Land
- Episode 12: I’m Left Not Disappointed As I Expected Nothing
- Images from: Grimms Notes. Dir. S Shizutaka. Brain’s Base. 2019.