That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Episode 21 Review
Turns out sending Rimuru to teach some kids ends up about as shallow a development as you’d expect this late in the season. The kids are all tropey personalities who don’t have any expectations or hopes because they are going to die anyway and Rimuru has declared he’s going to save them. Which makes little sense because even if Rimuru does find a spirit to merge with them, Shizu still ultimately lost control and died. Maybe they will clarify this as a solution when they get to it but it seemed a bit grandiose to declare he was going to help them without any real reason why.
Also, winning the kids over happens with very little effort or sense.
Because threatening someone with a giant dog always makes them want to trust you.
As does beating them in a fight that you don’t even take seriously as they give their all.
Despite the kids being way too cliche, Rimuru being the typical television teacher coming in and winning them over after more or less only one real gesture, and the solution proposed not yet making a great deal of sense, this episode was still fun to watch. Sure, you can question Slime’s sense when it has a teacher challenge the students to try and hit him with their magic, but it is kind of fun to watch. As is watching Ranga menace the class so that they answer roll call even if there are definitely a few questions to be raised about threatening the children in your care.
Plus, if the cutesy teacher saves troubled kids without any effort tropes aren’t working for you, there is the whole Rimuru saves the city from a dragon and makes friends with a merchant sub-plot mid episode. So not bad to watch by any means but nor a reason to recommend the anime at this point.
Thanks for reading
Three great ways you can support 100 Word Anime:
Or, use one of my product affiliate links.
PSN CARD 50 USD | PLAYSTATION NETWORK US
- Episode 1 – Strictly Set Up
- Episode 2 – So I Ate A Dragon and A Snake And A Bat Thing…
- Episode 3 – Submissive Wolves and Buff Goblins
- Episode 4 – Dwarven Blacksmiths and Giggling Elves
- Episode 5 – Past Wrongs and Future Destinies
- Episode 6 – The Importance of Pacing To Build Tension
- Episode 7 – Miraculous Survival of the Slime
- Episode 8 – 3 Ways Slime Is Exploring Endings and Beginnings
- Episode 9 – Watch The Slime Playing with Powers and Defeating Ogres
- Episode 10 – Slime, Ogres and Lizardmen; The Coming Conflict Looks Colourful
- Episode 11 – The Worst Way To Learn the Skill of Diplomacy
- Episode 12 – How Even The Best Laid Plans Can Be Derailed by Idiots
- Episode 13 – War: Crushing March of the Overpowered Monsters
- Episode 14 – The Fitting End of the Orc Lord Courtesy of the Slime
- Episode 15 – The Accidental Creation of a Slime Nation
- Episode 16 – Can You Catch More Demon Lords with Honey?
- Episode 17 – That Time The Powerful Slime Decided To Dabble in Diplomacy
- Episode 18 – The Slime, The Demon Lord and The Flying Sharks?
- Episode 19 – That Time We Defeated a Catastrophe Without Really Trying
- Episode 20 – Well It’s Been Fun, But Now We’ll Count Down Until The End
- Episode 21 – Who Would Have Thought That All You Need Is A Dog And Unlimited Power?
- Episode 22 – That Time We Found a Fairy Who is a Demon Lord?
- Episode 23 – That Time The Show Ended And The Audience Wondered Why?
- Episode 24 (Extra) – And Then Shizue Stole the Anime Right Out From Under Rimuru
- Images from: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. Dir. Y Kikuchi. 8Bit. 2018.