That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Episode 20 Review
It’s taken twenty episodes to get to this point, but I finally realise this was a series I was never meant to watch. For all that it has interesting moments and ideas, what it lacks are compelling characters or a developing narrative. I can’t wait until people tell me why I’m wrong this week (sarcasm) but that is the conclusion I’ve drawn after watching Millim decide it’s time she got back to demon lording and just up and leave, Rimuru deciding that things are going well enough in the kingdom he’s building that he can now just up and go to deal with Shizu’s baggage and have the episode end with him becoming a teacher in what essentially looks like a magic school.
This isn’t a problem of this story being more slice of life than narrative focused. While there has been a narrative stringing events along, plot has never been a particularly strong point of That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. The most profound and interesting moments have come from the characters with Shizu’s short visit and subsequent death being the absolute highlight of the series. There’s also been some amusing moments from the general antics of some of the characters that have helped keep things feeling fresh even when very little seems to be happening.
The problem is that in the absence of a driving plot, we don’t have deep or complex characters and a lot of the cast aren’t even vaguely fleshed out or interesting. Every character introduced has been potentially interesting, but far too many have just been shoved to the background with absolutely no focus, development or growth. Again, the support cast might get away with that if the main characters were amazing but as much fun as Rimuru is, and he is fun, for me he just isn’t a strong enough character to carry a series (clearly other people disagree given the recent Crunchyroll awards – but that’s why it is an opinion). For me, Rimuru is an interesting enough character and given a strong plot, I’d probably really love watching him. However, with neither the plot nor the characters particularly engaging me, this second cour has really felt pretty flat and my enjoyment of the series has been on a downward trajectory.
But, the final nail in the coffin (not really given its still fun enough), is this sudden lurching scene change and Rimuru taking on the role of a teacher. I don’t know how that will play out. It might end up being brilliant to watch. However, it doesn’t fit within the context of the anime so far that has focused on building up that small goblin village and then negotiations between countries. It is such a shift in focus and even though it does connect to a previous plot thread, and one I really liked given Shizu was a high point, it honestly just feels like the writer decided they were bored with the whole negotiations and treaty building part of the story and wrote themselves a scene change.
We’re still five episodes from the end of this and while I’ve had enough fun and even some good moments, I’m really going to have to think about my final review of this series, because with the ups and downs, highs and lows, the only thing I know for certain is that this anime is something I could have happily passed on.
Thanks for reading
Three great ways you can support 100 Word Anime:
Or, use one of my product affiliate links.
TENSEI SHITARA SLIME DATTA KEN 1/6 SCALE PRE-PAINTED FIGURE: SHION SWIMSUIT GRAVURE STYLE
- Episode 1 – Strictly Set Up
- Episode 2 – So I Ate A Dragon and A Snake And A Bat Thing…
- Episode 3 – Submissive Wolves and Buff Goblins
- Episode 4 – Dwarven Blacksmiths and Giggling Elves
- Episode 5 – Past Wrongs and Future Destinies
- Episode 6 – The Importance of Pacing To Build Tension
- Episode 7 – Miraculous Survival of the Slime
- Episode 8 – 3 Ways Slime Is Exploring Endings and Beginnings
- Episode 9 – Watch The Slime Playing with Powers and Defeating Ogres
- Episode 10 – Slime, Ogres and Lizardmen; The Coming Conflict Looks Colourful
- Episode 11 – The Worst Way To Learn the Skill of Diplomacy
- Episode 12 – How Even The Best Laid Plans Can Be Derailed by Idiots
- Episode 13 – War: Crushing March of the Overpowered Monsters
- Episode 14 – The Fitting End of the Orc Lord Courtesy of the Slime
- Episode 15 – The Accidental Creation of a Slime Nation
- Episode 16 – Can You Catch More Demon Lords with Honey?
- Episode 17 – That Time The Powerful Slime Decided To Dabble in Diplomacy
- Episode 18 – The Slime, The Demon Lord and The Flying Sharks?
- Episode 19 – That Time We Defeated a Catastrophe Without Really Trying
- Episode 20 – Well It’s Been Fun, But Now We’ll Count Down Until The End
- Episode 21 – Who Would Have Thought That All You Need Is A Dog And Unlimited Power?
- Episode 22 – That Time We Found a Fairy Who is a Demon Lord?
- Episode 23 – That Time The Show Ended And The Audience Wondered Why?
- Episode 24 (Extra) – And Then Shizue Stole the Anime Right Out From Under Rimuru
- Images from: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. Dir. Y Kikuchi. 8Bit. 2018.