That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Episode 18 Review
It is a good thing that we’re used to That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime pulling absurd on its audience. The tsundere dragon way back when was a pretty dead giveaway we weren’t meant to take this overly seriously. So by the time some clowns convince a beastman to try to revive some really bad demon thing and we end up with a calamity flying toward Rimuru’s newly established nation accompanied by flying shark spirits, you just kind of shrug and go with the whole thing.
Still, that is jumping to the end of the episode so I’d better back it up. You know, I never did get the name of that idiot who picked a fight with the city last week and was pretty much taken out in a single strike by Milim and I’m not exactly going to look for his name now. However for a few moments I thought we were finally seeing something a little bit different from a minion. He first talked of revenge, realised it was futile and that he’d handled the situation wrong but his pride was hurt. Self-realisation at its finest. Then he throws all of that growth opportunity away when the literal clowns walk up and promise him power in a deal too shady to even think for a minute should be listened to.
Naturally he takes on the deal and I’m thinking we won’t see him again given it seems pretty certain he’s been consumed or used to revive the disaster heading Rimuru’s way.
But, just in case all the dragon corpses and impending doom are getting you down, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime has you covered with its cute fan service moments including the three girls in the hot spring having a competition to see who can hold their breath the longest and Milim stripping off in the meeting declaring she would go and fight before being told to essentially warm the bench.
Its these kinds of moments that make it difficult to take anything in this show seriously and I’m really pretty sure I’m not supposed to be. Then again, it might be nice to feel a few moments tension without the show cracking a joke or throwing fan service at the audience every now and then. I still feel this show was at its best in how it dealt with Shizue. That moment of drama was actually allowed to play out without the need to ‘lighten’ the moment and it was spectacular.
Thanks for reading
Three great ways you can support 100 Word Anime:
Or, use one of my product affiliate links.
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 1
- Episode 1 – Strictly Set Up
- Episode 2 – So I Ate A Dragon and A Snake And A Bat Thing…
- Episode 3 – Submissive Wolves and Buff Goblins
- Episode 4 – Dwarven Blacksmiths and Giggling Elves
- Episode 5 – Past Wrongs and Future Destinies
- Episode 6 – The Importance of Pacing To Build Tension
- Episode 7 – Miraculous Survival of the Slime
- Episode 8 – 3 Ways Slime Is Exploring Endings and Beginnings
- Episode 9 – Watch The Slime Playing with Powers and Defeating Ogres
- Episode 10 – Slime, Ogres and Lizardmen; The Coming Conflict Looks Colourful
- Episode 11 – The Worst Way To Learn the Skill of Diplomacy
- Episode 12 – How Even The Best Laid Plans Can Be Derailed by Idiots
- Episode 13 – War: Crushing March of the Overpowered Monsters
- Episode 14 – The Fitting End of the Orc Lord Courtesy of the Slime
- Episode 15 – The Accidental Creation of a Slime Nation
- Episode 16 – Can You Catch More Demon Lords with Honey?
- Episode 17 – That Time The Powerful Slime Decided To Dabble in Diplomacy
- Episode 18 – The Slime, The Demon Lord and The Flying Sharks?
- Episode 19 – That Time We Defeated a Catastrophe Without Really Trying
- Episode 20 – Well It’s Been Fun, But Now We’ll Count Down Until The End
- Episode 21 – Who Would Have Thought That All You Need Is A Dog And Unlimited Power?
- Episode 22 – That Time We Found a Fairy Who is a Demon Lord?
- Episode 23 – That Time The Show Ended And The Audience Wondered Why?
- Episode 24 (Extra) – And Then Shizue Stole the Anime Right Out From Under Rimuru
- Images from: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. Dir. Y Kikuchi. 8Bit. 2018.