That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Episode 16 Review
So literally every character we’d previously met turns up and joins the village. Not kidding. First the dwarf king drops off Vesta and tells Rimuru to take him on because even though he can’t use Vesta anymore Vesta’s talent shouldn’t go to waste. And of course Rimuru and everyone are just cool with the guy who nearly got them sentenced to hard labour joining the village. It’s fine.
In the same scene Gabiru and his cronies just happen to be standing about and admit they came to ask if Rimuru would have them and again, sure no problem. At least in Gabiru’s case it makes sense. He’s an idiot but he did try to protect his own people in the war with the orcs even if his actions were misguided.
At the same time Gabiru’s sister is there because her father sent her to get some experience. Why not?
Rimuru gives all the unnamed Lizards names and somehow over-writes Gabiru’s name and they all evolve and get wings but the girls also become far more human like. This is an ongoing theme in this story that evolution seems to bring monsters closer to human appearance. Is this some sort of message that human form is superior or ideal because I’m not buying it. More importantly, it takes what could be quite unique about this show with its diverse monster cast and other than a few different colours and appendages ends up making all the main characters pretty much generic human. Seems like shooting what could be a distinguishing trait of your story in the foot to me.
But that’s all early on. We then transition to a bunch of demon lords talking about the recent fight against the orc lord and a pink haired girl who doesn’t understand the function of pants decides to go and pay the village a visit. Rimuru greets her and the two are chatting when suddenly Ranga drags Rimuru away and the ogre squad attack her. Seems like that came out of nowhere but whatever.
They can’t beat her, turns out she’s even stronger than our unbeatable slime and so Rimuru instead feeds her honey and bribes her with more to get her to surrender. Turns out she’s a demon lord and pretty bored so she ends up declaring Rimuru and herself besties and decides to stay.
This whole episode was just kind of a case of ‘and then this happened’. Basically they needed all these characters in this village for some reason and rather than taking the time to establish it decently they all just show up. I guess that’s one way to transition but it makes for a pretty ordinary viewing experience in and of itself. It will be worth it if they do something now that they’ve got all these characters but if not this was a fine waste of twenty minutes.
Or, use one of my product affiliate links.
NENDOROID NO. 1067 THAT TIME I GOT REINCARNATED AS A SLIME: RIMURU
- Episode 1 – Strictly Set Up
- Episode 2 – So I Ate A Dragon and A Snake And A Bat Thing…
- Episode 3 – Submissive Wolves and Buff Goblins
- Episode 4 – Dwarven Blacksmiths and Giggling Elves
- Episode 5 – Past Wrongs and Future Destinies
- Episode 6 – The Importance of Pacing To Build Tension
- Episode 7 – Miraculous Survival of the Slime
- Episode 8 – 3 Ways Slime Is Exploring Endings and Beginnings
- Episode 9 – Watch The Slime Playing with Powers and Defeating Ogres
- Episode 10 – Slime, Ogres and Lizardmen; The Coming Conflict Looks Colourful
- Episode 11 – The Worst Way To Learn the Skill of Diplomacy
- Episode 12 – How Even The Best Laid Plans Can Be Derailed by Idiots
- Episode 13 – War: Crushing March of the Overpowered Monsters
- Episode 14 – The Fitting End of the Orc Lord Courtesy of the Slime
- Episode 15 – The Accidental Creation of a Slime Nation
- Episode 16 – Can You Catch More Demon Lords with Honey?
- Episode 17 – That Time The Powerful Slime Decided To Dabble in Diplomacy
- Episode 18 – The Slime, The Demon Lord and The Flying Sharks?
- Episode 19 – That Time We Defeated a Catastrophe Without Really Trying
- Images from: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. Dir. Y Kikuchi. 8Bit. 2018.