Sword Art Online Alicization Episode 14 Review
A new opening, new outfits, same old story. Kirito and Eugeo recover their swords ridiculously easily but immediately find themselves locked in combat. It’s an improvement from the exposition dumps but still not sure this hit the mark.
The ease with which Kirito and Eugeo get to the armoury and recover their unguarded swords is absurd particularly when they are confronted by a solitary knight immediately on trying to leave the armoury. Seriously, he couldn’t have attacked them before they were armed? And why send just one knight? We learn later there’s a whole bunch of knights waiting on the 50th floor so why not send a couple of them down to take care of the problem before it becomes a problem? And just because Kirito and Eugeo are told there are knights waiting on the 50th floor, why aren’t they at least looking at the other floors to see if there’s anything useful. If we’re not going to even pause on these floors why do they exist?
This whole set up is so frustrating!
And taking a breath.
Outside of incredibly brainless plot developments resulting in characters acting in idiotic ways, this episode was actually better than the last two (not hard mind you). Still, the fight between Kirito, Eugeo and the Knight was actually pretty well handled and injected some much needed excitement back into the show, and the following conversation didn’t feel too much like yet another exposition dump.
We also had a fairly solid character moment from Eugeo. Since he’s been freed from the Taboo Index he hasn’t really been faced with too many moral choices and now he’s confronted by the knight who took Alice away all those years before. While it wasn’t the most nuanced scene ever, seeing Eugeo weighing up his options and make a decision was a fairly interesting moment (though probably would have been more interesting if Eugeo hadn’t chosen the goody-goody route that Kirito follows). So much potential exploration if Eugeo unleashed decided to take the knights out.
One final nit-pick though before I let this episode rest; how is it that every time Eugeo and Kirito change outfits they managed to find a pair of perfectly colour coordinated outfits? Here they just raided the armoury and changed clothes and yet Eugeo still has his bright blue and Kirito his standard charcoal. It would be nice, just once, if they through Kirito into red and Eugeo into green or something just to shake things up.
Or, use one of my product affiliate links.
ACCEL WORLD VS. SWORD ART ONLINE
- Sword Art Online Season 1 Series Review
- Sword Art Online Ordinal Scale Movie Review
- Sword Art Online Abridge Review
- Alicization Episode 1: SAO is Back, But Does it Work?
- Alicization Episode 2: He’s Back in the Game
- Alicization Episode 3: Oh Look, A Shiny New Sword
- Alicization Episode 4: Kirito is Back
- Alicization Episode 5: Asuna’s Turn
- Alicization Episode 6: In The Absence of Action, We Get Attack of the Talking Heads
- Alicization Episode 7: Can Eugeo Find the Confidence to Be Independent?
- Alicization Episode 8: How Does Kirito’s Belief in Himself Cause Success?
- Alicization Episode 9: Discover the Noble Spirit Hidden Within A Would Be Swordsman
- Alicization Episode 10: Warning Labels and Defeating Taboos in SAO
- Alicization Episode 11: Why More Time Isn’t Helping This Story
- Alicization Episode 12: Short Battle Followed By Attack of the Exposition
- Alicization Episode 13: SAO Now Presents the Information Dump To Defeat All Information Dumps
- Alicization Episode 14: Fire Meets Ice Before the Tower Climb