My Roommate is a Cat Episode 1 Review
A slice of life/comedy? My favourite. (Please note: sarcasm.)
Actually, given I enjoyed Barakamon and Poco’s Udon World, both of which this one kind of reminds me of (though with quite a lot less impact), My Roommate is a Cat’s first episode actually kind of worked for me. I didn’t mind Subaru as the socially awkward writer who brings home a kitten on a whim and a flash of inspiration and I certainly could see my own cat in the kitten as it tried to make sure Subaru was alright (okay, my cat never gave me a bowl of cat biscuits but it certainly brings me grass-hoppers and she knows when I’m sick and stays with me).
However, there isn’t a lot more to this first episode other than meeting the writer, who may annoy some viewers as he is a bit blunt and rude at times to his editor, and meeting the cat. There’s a few other characters such as the editor and I’m guessing the childhood friend (though friend may be the wrong name for it), however their impact in this first episode is pretty minimal.
The one part of the story that was a little unexpected was seeing the sequence from the cat’s point of view but that only added a little tiny bit to the episode, and to be honest we probably could have figured out most of that narration without it actually being narrated to us by the cat.
So, this one I kind of enjoyed for a relaxing watch but there’s not a huge amount to recommend it. Everything about it is decent enough, and the OP is incredibly catchy and probably my favourite part about the show so far. Still, it’s got an anime cat in it that is absolutely adorable and it didn’t annoy me, so this one will stay on my watch list for now.
Thanks for reading
Three great ways you can support 100 Word Anime:
Or, use one of my product affiliate links.
THE ART OF THE CAT RETURNS
- Episode 1: Adopt a Kitten, It Could Save Your Life
- Episode 2: If I Sit On It, It’s Mine – So Says The Cat
- Episode 3: The Beginning of the Journey For The Cat and The Writer
- Episode 4: From One Person To Another – Must Be A Conspiracy
- Episode 5: This Week Witness Happy Sparkles From Pet Ownership
- Episode 6: The Awkward Cat Belongs With An Awkward Human
- Episode 7: Finding Value In The Unexpected and Uncontrollable
- Episode 8 and 9: Dreaming of the Past and Protecting the Present
- Episode 10: The Quiet Joy of Sharing a Meal
- Images from: My Roommate is a Cat. Dir. K Suzuki. Zero-G. 2019.