That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Episode 12 Review
With the dryad making her request of Rimuru and the kijin being pretty onboard with the plan of taking out the orc lord, it seems it is fairly inevitable that we’ll get a battle between Rimuru’s group and the orc army. Still, allies are nice and while Rimuru doesn’t want to deal with the idiot Gabiru, he does send someone to talk to the chief of the Lizardmen and they hammer out an alliance of sorts. All looks to be going well in That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, until Gabiru decides (or rather is very easily manipulated) into stuffing everything up.
Characters like Gabiru really annoy me but at the same time they aren’t actually badly written characters. They really do reflect those people you meet in life who think they are all that and can do no wrong. Those people who charge into things believing it will work out because ‘how could it not’ but generally speaking then blame others for their failures or have a whole bag of excuses as to why something wasn’t their fault.
Just look at Gabiru’s explanation as to why he lost to Gobta.
I might have worked with a few people just like Gabiru. They are more annoying in real life.
And while Gabiru eats a lot of screen time in the second half, this isn’t actually a problem because it is doing exactly what it needs to do. It is escalating the situation. Rimuru already had to deal with the orc army and the orc lord. He thought he had an alliance of Lizardmen waiting for his arrival, and now the lizards are under new leadership, stirring up the orc army and actually providing food for them (gross) and there’s almost no chance of them being able to join up. While I wouldn’t go so far as to call the situation tense, Slime doesn’t take itself seriously enough to actually have tension, it is certainly at least building up this threat as at least something that might vaguely threaten if not Rimuru then perhaps those that follow him.
I am definitely enjoying Slime more at the moment than I was and unlike other shows this season that started reasonably well but have kind of gone nowhere or downhill (looking at you Index and SAO), this one seems to keep building on its world, characters and ideas and gets more interesting with time.
Thanks for reading
Three great ways you can support 100 Word Anime:
Or, use one of my product affiliate links.
Play Asia Exclusive
- Episode 1 – Strictly Set Up
- Episode 2 – So I Ate A Dragon and A Snake And A Bat Thing…
- Episode 3 – Submissive Wolves and Buff Goblins
- Episode 4 – Dwarven Blacksmiths and Giggling Elves
- Episode 5 – Past Wrongs and Future Destinies
- Episode 6 – The Importance of Pacing To Build Tension
- Episode 7 – Miraculous Survival of the Slime
- Episode 8 – 3 Ways Slime Is Exploring Endings and Beginnings
- Episode 9 – Watch The Slime Playing with Powers and Defeating Ogres
- Episode 10 – Slime, Ogres and Lizardmen; The Coming Conflict Looks Colourful
- Episode 11 – The Worst Way To Learn the Skill of Diplomacy
- Episode 12 – How Even The Best Laid Plans Can Be Derailed by Idiots
- Episode 13 – War: Crushing March of the Overpowered Monsters
- Episode 14 – The Fitting End of the Orc Lord Courtesy of the Slime
- Episode 15 – The Accidental Creation of a Slime Nation
- Episode 16 – Can You Catch More Demon Lords with Honey?
- Episode 17 – That Time The Powerful Slime Decided To Dabble in Diplomacy
- Episode 18 – The Slime, The Demon Lord and The Flying Sharks?
- Episode 19 – That Time We Defeated a Catastrophe Without Really Trying
- Episode 20 – Well It’s Been Fun, But Now We’ll Count Down Until The End
- Episode 21 – Who Would Have Thought That All You Need Is A Dog And Unlimited Power?
- Episode 22 – That Time We Found a Fairy Who is a Demon Lord?
- Episode 23 – That Time The Show Ended And The Audience Wondered Why?
- Episode 24 (Extra) – And Then Shizue Stole the Anime Right Out From Under Rimuru
- Images from: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. Dir. Y Kikuchi. 8Bit. 2018.