I have no issue with overpowered protagonists, particularly in isekai stories. It is kind of expected that our self-insert type character who goes from zero to hero will in fact be largely stronger than most anything else. However, I still kind of want to feel that there is at least the potential of a threat. That was something How Not To Summon A Demon Lord managed to get right. And it is something that That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime has so far failed to grasp at all with Rimuru so far having nothing that has even managed to scratch him, let alone actually potentially threaten him.
Doom and gloom aside, I don’t actually need the protagonist to be in danger every minute of every day, but they could at least make the encounters that are clearly non-threatening a little bit more amusing. The ‘fight’ outside of the dwarven city was just kind of lame no matter how you look at it. While seeing Rimuru literally blow the other characters away before getting a damage report about random bystanders fainting or soiling themselves could be amusing if delivered well, here is is just kind of, okay, so that happened.
We also seem to have lost the extras very quickly. The goblins and wolves that accompany Rimuru are left outside the city with the exception of one who is then kind of left in a jail cell and never mentioned again. This wouldn’t be so much a problem except that Rimuru so far has very little going for him and the goblins at least offered something resembling a range of character types to kind of connect with and now instead we are faced with a group of dwarves who are every bit as impressed with Rimuru’s seemingly endless supply of everything.
Four episodes in and I’m not feeling this show. I’m also not really planning to drop it because as much as I’m not really into it, I don’t actually dislike it. I just keep wishing it was giving me a little more. I wouldn’t really mind which direction they took with that ‘more’ either. More danger, more personality, more humour, just more of something so that everything didn’t feel just so kind of ‘there’.
- Episode 1 – Strictly Set Up
- Episode 2 – So I Ate A Dragon and A Snake And A Bat Thing…
- Episode 3 – Submissive Wolves and Buff Goblins
- Episode 4 – Dwarven Blacksmiths and Giggling Elves
- Episode 5 – Past Wrongs and Future Destinies
- Episode 6 – The Importance of Pacing To Build Tension
- Episode 7 – Miraculous Survival of the Slime
- Episode 8 – 3 Ways Slime Is Exploring Endings and Beginnings
- Episode 9 – Watch The Slime Playing with Powers and Defeating Ogres
- Episode 10 – Slime, Ogres and Lizardmen; The Coming Conflict Looks Colourful
- Episode 11 – The Worst Way To Learn the Skill of Diplomacy
- Episode 12 – How Even The Best Laid Plans Can Be Derailed by Idiots
- Episode 13 – War: Crushing March of the Overpowered Monsters
- Episode 14 – The Fitting End of the Orc Lord Courtesy of the Slime
- Episode 15 – The Accidental Creation of a Slime Nation
- Episode 16 – Can You Catch More Demon Lords with Honey?
- Episode 17 – That Time The Powerful Slime Decided To Dabble in Diplomacy
- Episode 18 – The Slime, The Demon Lord and The Flying Sharks?
- Episode 19 – That Time We Defeated a Catastrophe Without Really Trying
- Images from: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. Dir. Y Kikuchi. 8Bit. 2018.