This week we get a definite insiders look at how things work as various sales representatives visit the book shop and talk to the staff. While this might seem like a fairly banal thing to watch, it ultimately ends up hilarious as we see the weak Honda being manipulated into accepting various flyers and the like, other staff literally fighting with the reps to get more copies of a book, and even the cool and calm phone conversation between one of the store workers and a company that didn’t deliver material on time. It is great fun and the episode just kind of rolls along.
Also, if you want to see how many mildly censored titles you can recognise, this episode is most definitely packing in the references (including a Natsume Yuujinchou reference in the second half – and that shouldn’t be my episode highlight but it definitely was).
Moving onto the second half we shift from sales to recommendations to customers. It was really fun seeing the workers put on the spot with a vague description and needing to think of a manga that met the conditions. Also hilarious when the customer ended up buying something completely different.
Skull-face Bookseller Honda-San remains a low key kind of fun and the scenarios have so far all been quite entertaining and a little informative. While this certainly won’t be the best show ever anytime soon, it is a fun little watch each week and well worth the 11 minutes the episode runs.
- Episode 1 – Just Your Everyday Bookstore
- Episode 2 – Too Many Books in the Bookstore
- Episode 3 – Sales People and Recommendations
- Episode 4 – We’ve All Been There
- Episode 5 – Overcoming the Trials and Tribulations of the Bookshop
- Episodes 6 + 7 – What Happens When Our Skeleton Bookseller Leaves the Bookshop
- Episode 8 – The People You Meet At The Bookshop
- Episode 9 – Book-lovers Can Relate To The Pain in Honda-San This Week
- Episode 10 – Were You Considering a Job in the Bookstore?
- Episode 11 – Bored at The Bookstore? Just Add Monsters
- Episode 12 – Tis The Season To Be Jolly and Wear Funny Hats