I haven’t exactly hidden my dislike of shouting protagonists, but there’s another type of character I find equally off-putting regardless of how good the story might be. And Run With The Wind delivers us Haiji, the guy who has some personal goal or dream of running a marathon and is willing to drag whoever he needs to into it. He might be described as passionate or driven, but I generally find imposing your own wish on other people to be a fairly repugnant character trait. If he wants to run a marathon he’s welcome to; leave everyone else alone.
Which meant this first episode didn’t exactly scream at me that this is a must watch. A sport focused story with a bunch of guys brought together through whatever means necessary to train to run a marathon it isn’t exactly shouting pick me. Despite that, it also isn’t an instant drop and I’m going to give it another episode or two to try and convince me these characters are worth investing my time in. And there’s a couple of reasons for that.
The first is the visuals. While for the most part they are pretty ordinary (neither good or bad), there is one sequence where Haiji sees Kakeru running and it just grabbed me (as it was clearly intended to). I actually saw this sequence on Twitter before I watched the episode and while I liked it on Twitter, it actually just worked beautifully in the episode and it was the moment I really started paying attention.
— Jeremiah (@kawaikenma) 2 October 2018
The second reason I’m not instant dropping this, is the rest of the cast seem interesting enough. They each have their particular personality trait but they don’t seem as exaggerated or caricature like as some ensemble casts and I’d like to give them a chance to grow on me.
Still, I will be quite surprised if this one stays on my watch list.
- Episode 1 – Another character dragging others along in pursuit of their dreams.
- Episode 2 – The hard sell
- Episode 3 – As the wind blows
- Episode 4 – A wind of change
- Episode 5 – Scattered by the winds
- Episode 6 – No need to be frantic; It will all blow over soon
- Episode 7 – An opportunity to knock the wind clean out of their sails
- Episode 8 – The Downfalls of the Pursuit of Perfection
- Episode 9 – You Really Have To Step Back To See What’s There
- Episode 10 – How Run With The Wind Shows Us To Celebrate Effort Rather Than Achievement
- Episode 11 – Why Run With The Wind is an Oustanding Example of the Use of Sound
- Episode 12 – The Change of Seasons Welcomes a Changing Wind
- Episode 13 – Clearing the Air With The help of Friends